Photo: Edwin with a digital learner in the pre-COVID world... More ►
Become a Digital Coach
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused Community Tech Network to modify its services to better match the needs of those we support. Before, our volunteers were placed with our local partners throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and Austin, Texas, and our older adult learners received their training in these partner locations. Since our partners are currently closed, we decided to transition to virtually instructing seniors while they remain in the safety and comfort of their own home.
Home Connect is aimed to support older adults eager to get online connected with loved ones, friends, and service providers. We are working with the San Francisco Department of Disability and Aging Services and our senior center and housing partners to identify people in need. Our staff will get the senior set-up with Internet, ship them a pre-configured Android tablet and provide 5 hours of remote training. Afterward, our staff will hand-off the senior learner to a volunteer Digital Coach who will continue to provide remote training following the guidance of our Learning Pathways.
Volunteer Commitment & Qualifications
Establishing a strong, professional relationship with their Digital Coach is important to adult learners. Digital Coach Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and understand the importance of preserving the confidentiality of senior identity and information. We request a minimum 3-month commitment with at least one 1-hour shift per week.
Compassion and patience are the two most important skills needed when working with those who have limited technology experience. We work with seniors, low-income adults, and marginalized populations that place a high value on trust and relationships. Since many have limited social networks, class lessons can sometimes be more social than technical, so personal skills are important and valued! Basic understanding of PC/Windows computers and/or iOS devices is needed, and a willingness to use the Internet to find answers for things you don’t know!
- A desktop, laptop, or MAC computer with HD external camera or HD integrated camera
- A headset with a microphone, stable output and input
- Stable Internet connection – 20Mbps (Ethernet recommended)
- A downloaded version of the video conferencing application, TeamViewer
- A Google Voice alternate telephone number (optional)
If you believe you’re ready to make a difference in the life of one of our adult learners, complete our Volunteer Application, and we will reach out to you!
Volunteer with Community Tech Network as a Digital Coach for our new online program, Home Connect!
If you’re ready to make a positive difference in someone’s life, here are the steps you must take.
- Complete the online application.
- Fulfill the training requirements:
- 90 minute interactive webinar to strengthen your teaching style and learn how to be a Digital Coach.
- Complete two self-paced training lessons that cover the topics of identifying elder abuse and internet safety.
- Complete and pass a background check following your training.
- Be paired with a senior learner based on your language and hours of availability.
- Be available to volunteer between the hours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Pacific time.
Santosh TiwariDigital Coach
Daniel RasconDigital Coach
Crystal WhyDigital Coach
Amy HansenDigital Coach
Anthony PoundDigital Coach
Ready to start volunteering? Please complete the form below to apply! Someone will be in contact with you shortly with next steps.
If you are a current volunteer, please use this form to submit your hours.
Click here to enter your volunteer hours.
Want to know what it’s really like to volunteer with Community Tech Network? Check out our Learner Spotlight Stories.
For more information about these and other volunteer opportunities, contact email@example.com.