Derek Slater wants to create a more open, secure, and... More ►
Become a Digital Coach
Do you have an hour a week to donate? You can change a life by providing remote training to an at-risk senior.
We have an urgent need for bilingual volunteers, especially those ﬂuent in Spanish or Cantonese, to teach digital skills to homebound seniors. These new digital skills will allow them to:
- Access telemedicine
- Reﬁll their prescriptions
- Connect with family and friends
- Receive important news and information
CTN staff trainers provide the initial basic skills and safety training. Volunteers are needed to coach and remotely reinforce these new digital skills. We ask for a commitment of one hour a week for 12 weeks. Intermediate level digital skills, a computer, and broadband are required. All CTN volunteers receive training to help them understand how to work with adult learners, and we provide prompt feedback to ensure your success.
If you believe you’re ready to make a difference in the life of an adult learner, complete our Volunteer Application, and we will reach out to you! Looking for more information? Follow this link to read more about getting started.
Are you a good fit for our volunteer Digital Coach program? Review this list of requirement and next steps.
Volunteer Commitment & Qualifications
Establishing a strong, professional relationship with their Digital Coach is important to adult learners. Digital Coach Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and understand the importance of preserving the confidentiality of senior identity and information. We request a minimum 3-month commitment with at least one 1-hour shift per week.
Compassion and patience are the two most important skills needed when working with those who have limited technology experience. We work with seniors, low-income adults, and marginalized populations that place a high value on trust and relationships. Since many have limited social networks, class lessons can sometimes be more social than technical, so personal skills are important and valued! Basic understanding of PC/Windows computers and/or iOS devices is needed, and a willingness to use the Internet to find answers for things you don’t know!
- A desktop, laptop, or MAC computer with HD external camera or HD integrated camera
- A headset with a microphone, stable output and input
- Stable Internet connection – 20Mbps (Ethernet recommended)
- A downloaded version of the video conferencing application, TeamViewer or AnyDesk
- A Google Voice alternate telephone number (optional)
- Complete the online application.
- Fulfill the training requirements:
- 90 minute interactive webinar to strengthen your teaching style and learn how to be a Digital Coach.
- Complete two self-paced training lessons that cover the topics of identifying elder abuse and internet safety.
- Complete and pass a background check following your training.
- Be paired with a senior learner based on your language and hours of availability.
- Be available to volunteer between the hours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Pacific time.
Derek SlaterDigital Coach
Lauren WoolleyDigital Coach
Ji ShiDigital Coach
Joyce BanksDigital Coach
Ariana ChenDigital Coach
Kaushik "Kris" SanyalDigital Coach
Sean LeeDigital Coach
Ivy AuDigital Coach
Kimberly VoDigital Coach
Elizabeth BravoDigital Coach
Mariluz OrbayDigital Coach
Xinyi (Iris) JiangDigital Coach
Rachel CaryDigital Coach
Deepa VargheseDigital Coach
Cecilia PerezDigital Coach
Amy HansenDigital Coach
Ready to start volunteering? Please complete the form below to apply! Someone will be in contact with you shortly with next steps.
Want to know what it’s really like to volunteer with Community Tech Network? Check out our Learner Spotlight Stories.
For more information about these and other volunteer opportunities, contact email@example.com.