Digital Inclusion Week (DIW) is an international event happening October 7 – 11, 2019. It is an opportunity to raise awareness of solutions addressing access to home internet, devices, and local technology training and support programs. Dozens of organizations nationwide have spent their summer preparing for this week, and CTN is one of many groups in Austin organizing events.
Here’s a list of some Austin organizations and their DIW activities:
- The Austin Public Library has workshops and drop-in sessions all over town, see the library’s schedule here.
- Goodwill Central Texas can help community members find their next job. They’re hosting a career fair, providing resume assistance, and partnering with other organizations such as Indeed and Dress for Success. See Goodwill’s schedule here.
- Austin Free-Net, along with holding its normal digital literacy classes, is hosting some special events. AFN will host a game of Digital Literacy Bingo early in the week and finish on Friday with the release of one client’s first podcast! James Gorman’s podcast illustrates the daily life of someone experiencing homelessness.
- Austin Public’s open house on October 7 invites locals to meet members of the media-making community, learn about the rich history of Austin’s Public Access Television, meet the current Austin Public Producers and crew, as well as participate in studio and equipment demos. Learn more about their open house here.
- CTN will conduct BYOD (bring your own device) events with Family Eldercare and AGE Computer Lab to encourage their senior participants to gain new digital skills. From smartphones to laptops, Google Fiber and Adobe volunteers will be on hand to help learners. Also, CTN and Google Fiber are hosting a celebration on Thursday evening. Join us for this free event and hear a few organizations share information about their digital inclusion work. Capital Factory will be there with some VR equipment as well!
For a full list of events and partners, visit Austin’s Digital Inclusion Week page here.